Friday, September 14, 2012

5 Things I Love About Madrid

Hey Hey all,

  So today marks the 1 year anniversary of my landing in Madrid. How fast 365 days go by. Since I wasn't able to go see my friends and family this summer like a big chunk of my Spain Posse, I decided to make a list of things that I really enjoy about this place that I'm in so that I'm not thinking so much about who I'm missing back home, because I mean... I LIVE IN MADRID! So here's my top 5 (in no particular order).

1. Transportation

Need to get to the other side of the city? Commute out to a suburb? The Madrid metro is a great way to get to where you to be. For those of you who don't know me well, I am not really that fond of driving. Here, all I have to do is pop on my headphones and I get to where I need to go either by bus or metro!

2. Pace of life

Despite being a big city capital the Spanish lifestyle at times (when you're not trying to get something productive/bureaucratic done) can be comfortably slow. Taking a stroll, or sitting and enjoy a coffee or tinto de verano (wine with lime soda), or a beer for a few hours is not seen as a waste. Take the time to read the newspaper daily, or a book. 

3. Theater- Madrid Players and beyond


Yes, I know I come from California, the place where everyone who heads to follow their dreams, but I have found a special niche here in Madrid. With our September show debut tonight (Sept 14), it's been nice to feel needed, appreciated while doing something that I love so much. In addition living so close to the city center there's access to all of the big musicals that come to Madrid like the Lion King.

4. Travel

Being in Europe makes it so much easier to travel to major destinations since they are so much closer. I've enjoyed Spring Break in Paris and a tour of Italy. Now onto plans for Portugal, London, Barcelona, Ireland, Berlin, and so many other places before time runs out.

5. All Spanish All the Time (mostly)


Creo que es obvious that I like Español very mucho (well actually Spanglish). Being in Spain let's me hear and enjoy the marvelous language all around me, and of course the opportunity to fine tune my idioma skills. 

Originally this was supposed to be a top 10 blog post, I've run out of time so keep an eye out for a part 2 at another date.

Here's to a great season 2 of Madrid life :)

<3 CathyArely

2 comments:

  1. Cathy! I am glad you are enjoying Madrid! I miss that place soooo much! Are you doing another year as an auxiliar? This is ale btw <3

    ReplyDelete