Sunday, July 10, 2011

Plays, Papers, and Machines....Oh my!

Hey All,

Seeing as we inch farther and farther away from my last post, I thought today would be a good time to update everyone on what's been going on :)

So first of all, as I'm sure won't come as a surprise to anyone that knows me, In true Cathy fashion I have filled up my schedule pretty well for the summer. Yes, I know that it's summer and after the kind of semesters that I put myself through at CSUN I should be enjoying the chance to do NOTHING, but alas I don't think I could stay sane that way.

The first thing that got tacked onto the agenda is "Play On" an play being put on by RHS Alumni :) At first it was very strange to be back, especially given the fact that I was pretty much the oldest alumni of the bunch, but now things are better. I went from understudy to regular cast this week, so come check me out as 'Smitty' at Rosamond High School August - 11, 12, 13 and 18, 19, 20.

I also started volunteering at the Self-Help center at the AV courthouse. The Self-Help center is a place where people go to get help on certain paperwork that needs to be turned in to the court be it divorce papers, evictions, domestic disputes, child custody...etc. This too was overwhelming at first, because all of those papers look the same, and the girls that were already volunteering there go through them so quickly and their eyes know exactly where to go and where to check, and where to see whats missing. For the first few days I was shadowing the other volunteers, but last week they "threw me to the sharks" and had me do a divorce. I know its the only way to learn, but I guess what is most intimidating is that you're dealing with people's lives when you're handling this kind of paperwork.
A lot of people have asked me why I would go out and do something like that, when I don't have to, or because it's really depressing hearing about other's hardships, but I guess there are a few reasons why I'm there. One, I guess it makes me feel more like I have a purpose for my summer, not just lounging lazily cooking in the desert heat. Two, law school is still a good possibility for me and I have set a goal to get over 100 volunteer hours this summer before I head out to Spain. Lastly, other than looking good on my resume, I actually do like helping out my community, and if I can give back a little bit by easing someone who is going crazy because of a million forms then that's great :)

Something that I have committed to doing this summer is something that I've been griping about my whole college career not having time for...I got a gym membership! I'm really excited because it's like I graduated college, now it's time for a new me. Still trying to get a good routine going since everything is still kind of far from my house, but I'll get there :)

OH! I got my letter with the details of my job!! I'll be working with middle school and high school students! It wouldn't be my first pick, but I think everything happens for a reason, and perhaps I'll learn some things about myself along the way :)

Thanks for reading!! Comments are always appreciated!! :)

~Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment